04 September 2006

Labour Day weekend is a doozy

Leaving the house on Saturday morning, heading out for some errands, I did not expect to see people wearing breadboards announcing that my treasured local music shop, Pearson Music, was going out of business. On a whim, I headed inside to see what might remain on the shelves. Sadly, no microphones, but they had three Mackie mixers to pick from, all at fairly steep markdown: a DFX-12, a 1202-VLZ Pro, and my eventual choice, a 1402-VLZ Pro.

So, I've been spending some time trying to figure out how to use it. So far, so good.

But unfortunately the upgrade from my previous microphone pre-amp (if a Radio Shack Karaoke Mic Adapter can be named as such) didn't alleviate my issues with the damaged goods that are my Akai DM-13 microphones. And, worse yet, my Dean Markley Acoustical Transducer decided that this would be the day it finally gave up the ghost for good. So I picked up a new microphone, a Shure PG57, but so far I haven't had a chance to take it out of the plastic wrap and put it to any kind of test.

So, quite a weekend. Maybe with the mixer and a new microphone, I'll get my butt in gear and put something together in the next couple of weeks. We'll see how it goes.

No comments: